An Amazing Dad: A Father's Day story

This weekend we celebrate Father's Day here in Australia.
It is a time when we celebrate the men who have become mentors in our lives, regardless of whether they are listed on our birth certificate or not. The man or men who have helped us become the people we are today.

Personally I have had no contact with my biological father at all. However when I was 8 my mother married and Hilton became my father figure. He loved me and accepted me as I was, so much so that some 18 years later, when being questioned by a distant relative researching his genealogy, about his  he automatically included me and my children. Sadly, his own boys from his first marriage were unable to have children for various reasons and he adored my kids.

Rick & Dick's first marathon


I want to tell you of someone else's amazing dad, of a father & son, who compete together in marathons and triathlons across America. What is so amazing about this pair is that the son is physically unable to walk let alone run. Rick is his name and his father is Dick. Though Rick is unable to talk, he is astute and is able to communicate via a special computer. Rick demonstrated a high intelligence completing a university degree. He loves following sport. When he was 15, he told his dad that he wished to support a Lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident and was having a benefit run held for him. His Dad, though far from being fit, agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles coming in second last. Later Rick commented to his dad that he doesn't feel handicapped when running. Being a great Dad, Dick resolved to run more marathons and eventually included triathlons with his son. They have completed well 1,000 runs including this year's Boston marathon which was bombed. Dick is now 72 and plans to run the Boston again next year.

Rick & Dick at the 2013 Boston Marathon
There is more to the story and I encourage you to read it all here. They have set up "The Hoyt Foundation" to build the individual character, self-confidence and self-esteem of America's disabled young people through inclusion in all facets of daily life; including in family and community activities, especially sports, at home, in schools, and in the workplace. Being profoundly deaf myself and having to fight my way through many people's mistaken perception all my life, I applaud their goals. Read more about the work they do here.

We have an amazing Father who has given everything for each one of us. God loves us so much that he has done more than run that extra mile for us. If you want to know more about what he has done then read articles such as 5 Truths about Love or get it straight from the Bible. Start with a 'book' within the Bible called John or Mark. It is in the last quarter of the Bible. Try to find a simple to read Bible like The Good News or The Message Bible. You can find a copy of the Bible at your local library though it might be one of the easy one.  You can also read a slightly harder version online here. Any Christian church would most likely give you a copy for free too if you were to ask there. You don't have to commit to anything - there's no catch though they might ask if you would like to attend a meeting to learn more, but it is only an invitation not a condition. Ask me if you want and I will post one to you.

I would also love to know if we have a similar foundation to Team Hoyt, here in Australia. Please send me any details  either by the comments below or via Facebook, Google+ or email.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of Rob and granddaughter. Happy Fathers' Day Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We had a lovely time. Read about your Dad and how he impacted your first 10 years. I grew up without any father until Mum married when I was nearly 8.

      Delete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle