Tidying Rob's Man Cave

Rob is doing some volunteer building work this week in Christchurch, New Zealand, which is still recovering from the devastating earthquakes of 2 years ago and the near constant tremors.

Rob on the left, working in Christchurch

So while he was away, I thought that I would lovingly surprise him a surprise by sanding this amazing tilt cupboard he has made. It was a job I had promised to do, but had procrastinated doing since it is way out of my comfort zone.


Whilst in there I thought it would be nice to sweep the bus out. I sort of got carried away and I ended up dusting and rearranging his millions of tools, screws, nails etc that have migrated into his new man cave. Good grief... I even vacuumed the floor of the bus! It took me all of three hours to do and this is just one tiny little bus!!! How much mess can a guy make? I didn't think to take a before photo, but here is the after photo. It is deliberately not too much detail since the bus is still a long way from finished, but you can see the floor and even some bench space.

After the tidy up

Will Rob be happy or horrified with what I done?

I understand that the garage is the quintessential man cave, and as such is a man's sacred sanctuary. By all intents, the bus seems to have become an extension of his man cave. Now when you read about a guy's man cave, it is a neat place where the man can escape to to do his tinkering. Not my Rob. His main workshop would look like a mess, especially his benches, to the uninitiated. But generally speaking, he does know where everything is.

As he has done various jobs in the bus, he has covered every surface with the myriads of tools and equipment that he has used. I guess there's no point in taking them back into his garage when you might need it again in the bus. Inside the bus now, are his welder and 2 masks, dozens of spanners, just about every screwdriver he owns, 2 measuring tapes, and I swear he has every one of his smaller electric tools in there from his nail gun, 2 different sanders, Oh lets not forget there are thousands of screws and pop rivets in every size imaginable.

I'd like to think Rob will be happy when he sees what I have done. Surely a clean and tidy space is not only aesthetically pleasing, but being a bit more organized, he will be able to quickly find that elusive tool he needs.

Take a gander at some real workshop type man caves. (There's lots that are just a glorified boy's room. I am talking about real workshops, man!

Photo Source

Photo Source: Chez Larsson

So what is your verdict? How would you react to such 'interference?

8 comments:

  1. You must like living dangerously? Shane T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it out of love for Rob and for order. I hate walking over a messy floor and then once I started I couldn't stop myself!

      Delete
  2. You must be a bugger for punishment.... you do realize that it will be your fault that he can't find anything now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's wife for if you can't blame her for the things that go wrong ;) He will see it today! Wonder how it goes!

      Delete
  3. I reckon you should run now! Never touch a man's sacred place - no matter the name or motivation!!! Eric Tims

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived with hardly a hassle until he couldn't find one of his tapes - they were all neatly put in a little box with a big TAPES written on the box about 6 inches from where he expected it to be? LOL

      Delete
  4. JJP says you're very brave!I hope Rob reacted with joy to see how you tidied up after him. We're thinking of downsizing and going back to Sydney and buying into a retirement village next year and the thought of what to do about his mancave and his study fills me with dread!JaneP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let him sort out the mancave and study! Unfortunately you will still have to clean it out after he has finished in there. I dread having to move. It is hard enough moving my craft stuff upstairs and trying to cull it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle